Our seventh wireframe test was a re-test of the Classes & Events section of the site. We previously tested Classes & Events in Wireframe Test #5. The wireframes were adjusted so that the Classes & Events search was moved to the top of the page and promotional pieces were moved to the side of the page in a totem style. Other revisions to the wireframe included the removal of the mini-calendar from the default page.
Forty-two percent of beta testers completed the task. You can see the larger version of each wireframe by clicking on the image.
We presented three scenarios to the testers:
- You heard the library offers classes for Microsoft products and you want to find all the Excel classes. Where would you search Classes & Events using the keyword "excel"?
- Reviewing the "excel" keyword search results, you would like narrow your search to just the Edgewater location. Where would you go to refine your search?
- Where would you switch to a calendar view of your search results?
We also asked the testers four questions once they completed the wireframe test:
- If you could move one item on this page, what would you move, and where? Please indicate which wireframe you are referring to (A or B) in your response. They are listed above for your reference.
- What would you change? Please indicate which wireframe you are referring to (A, B, and/or C) in your response. They are listed above for your reference.
- What features are missing? Please indicate which wireframe you are referring to (A or B) in your response. They are listed above for your reference.
- Please share any additional feedback you have on any of the wireframes.
Testers were provided the wireframe of the Classes & Events default page for the first scenario. The focus of the first scenario was the location of the search bar in the Classes & Events section. Ninety percent of testers chose the search bar within the Classes & Events section. Seven percent chose the "Classes & Events" top navigation item.
For the second scenario, testers were provided a wireframe of the search results page with results related to an Excel search. The purpose of this scenario was to test the additional search options for Classes & Events. While 83% of testers successfully selected the "Additional search filters" area of the wireframe for their response, this scenario generated a significant amount of suggestions for improving the wording of the filter to better connect with users. Six percent of testers chose the Locations button at the top of the page, 5% chose the Search button below the search filter area, and 2% chose the Calendar View tab.
For the third and final scenario, testers were provided the same wireframe of the search results page used in the previous scenario. Testers were then asked to identify where they would switch to a calendar view of the results. A remarkable 99% of testers successfully identified the Calendar View tab. This scenario met with the highest success rate of any scenario previously presented across all wireframe tests.
Forty-five percent of beta testers who completed Wireframe Test #7 left additional feedback through the post-test survey questions. The vast majority of those who completed the task didn't have any suggestions for improving the page layouts or commented that the wireframes were good. We are revising the filter language as a result of the comments received regarding that area of the wireframe.